Our journey

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Thoughts of a new mom

Before I get started on my thoughts on motherhood, I'd like to say...only in Marin does a majorly politically liberal community get to say "no" to Habitat for Humanity homes. I could get into quite a heated discussion with some of my professors at San Francisco State University over that one.

It has been a long time coming, but I'm finally finding a few minutes to blog about the past 5 weeks. I am still overwhelmed with joy and excitement every time I look or think about our precious little girl. As we went into this family stage, I thought I could handle the adjustment pretty easily because my life experiences and knowledge have served me well as adjusting to new things in the past. Suffice it to say, I was mistaken. I don't know that anything could have prepared me for the change.

I found myself crying almost incessantly at about 5 Am on the second day in the hospital as my friend and Selah's nursery nurse, Jenni Doebele, said good-bye because her shift was ending. Since I am nursing, Jenni told me I should expect my milk to come in 2 or 3 days. Through one episode of tears, I commented that "my milk is going to come in tomorrow but my emotions came in today." My emotions evened out after about two weeks.

We've learned so much in this short time that God has blessed us with Selah's life. One of the first things we learned is that we have what I describe as a passionate daughter. We learned this through her cry; it is what call an "extreme cry." She was deemed the 2nd loudest crier in the nursery in no time at all.

I have quickly become severely attached to this sweet girl and look forward to every minute I get to spend with her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home