Our journey

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Yes, it is cold. Good day.

I spent most of the day with Selah today while Laura was enjoying an international Christmas shopping fair thing. Selah and I enjoyed playing peek-a-boo around the furniture and we even went to the park. Now, that's usually not uncommon, but it's 6 degrees Celsius right now (that's 43 F). I had been looking forward to the cold in order to try out Selah's super fluffy winter suit. (Well, in order for her to try it out, I should say.) I made sure we weren't outside for too long, even though she was as snug as a bug in a rug. I felt her cheeks when we came back in our building and they were warm which I figured was a good sign.

An older lady who lives in our building was near the elevator and commented on how cute Selah was and then she didn't forget to inform me that it was cold outside--as she made a concerned look toward Selah. Now, I think my reaction to this situation with regard to culture shock is very important. Allow me to explain.

Most of our life is made up of many tiny decisions. For example, I think the success or failure of a marriage happens this way. Culture shock is a similar animal. At that time, standing by the elevator with my daughter all bundled up, I had the opportunity to react in two different ways.

1. I could think of (and dwell on) a very hilarious sarcastic remark to myself, such as, "Thank you Doppler Dave, that's why she's not wearing a halter top and sandals!"
2. I could just smile and agree, "Yes, it is cold. Good day." and go on up to our floor.

In my brief experience, living in another culture is doable only if you are able to let small things like that roll off your back. It really sounds like a small thing, but there are so many opportunities each day to get frustrated with the customs and people with whom you interact. And if you spend your time collecting and holding these small negative experiences, soon your load will be too much to carry. People around here love little kids and are (I think) honestly just concerned for their well-being. This may be simplistic, but I think a winning combination for dealing with culture shock is giving people the benefit of the doubt, not being a jerk yourself, and praying a lot.

4 Comments:

Blogger MichelleW said...

Thanks Ryan for your post - we get a lot of comments about taking Reister out when it's cold, mainly that he's not wearing enough (even though he's got layers of fleece on) and it's always hard to respond in the right way. I appreciate your pointing out the choices we have.

4:17 AM

 
Blogger mama wolf said...

That babys is so cute!!!
Ama

9:28 AM

 
Blogger Ryan said...

Michelle, yes that is just the world we live in. Tonight I had a similar experience. This time I assured the concerned citizen that Selah was wearing a huge amount of clothing. I think they were unconvinced.

1:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schäfer has a couple of these fleece jumpers too. They are the best! I love him so bundled up! We get lots of comments about how cold he possibly could be. In fact, we get them so much that I just smile & agree.

Once a neighbor told me I didn't need to put Schäfer's polartec on him. So I didn't to make her happy. Then 20 minutes into our walk, a lady stopped me to tell me he was cold & needed a jacket. I pretty much decided that day that there was no way to make everyone happy.

6:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home