Our journey

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Learning A LOT


Two language learners...Selah helps me remember that it takes time and a lot of practice with the sounds. We practice together sometimes. Actually, this picture was taken as I opened a package from my best friend, Stacie. She sent Selah some yummy Gerber fruit puffs and an amazing scrapbook of memories for me.


As Selah and I walked to the playground today, we passed two women that were chatting. They stopped me so they could talk to Selah and say how cute and sweet she is. We exchanged a few words and I told them that I know very little language, but want to learn more. They invited me to sit down and I spent the next 30 minutes catching bits and pieces of their conversation. They tried to help me understand what they were saying. At certain points I found myself laughing with them, knowing exactly what they were talking about without understanding their words. My heart was warmed and I silently thanked God.

This afternoon I ventured out again to talk to a woman that I met the other day at the cleaners. I went in and told her that Selah wanted to say hello. She was so happy and talked to me for about 20 minutes. At first she did not know how to help me with my language inadequacies, but she got better as time went on. As we “chatted,” and I used that term very loosely, another woman came in and started talking to us. Selah did something funny and we all laughed—I was reminded of the note that reminded me of how much I have in common with the women here. When I left, she asked me to come back another time. Yea, an invitation to practice more!!

I've learned over the past few days of talking to a few women about what they like to talk about in the initial conversations. They want to know where I am from, how old Selah is, if she is my daughter (or am I the babysitter), if I am nursing, why I am here and if my husband is American. They always tell me my language is very good (I laugh and thank them).

God is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home