Our journey

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Langauge and Parenting Tips


Selah really likes cherries as she purees them through the net thingy'bob.


One small piece of reality has hit...I no longer have doting grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. to help me watch Selah during the day. About 3 months of constant help was enough to spoil both of us rotten. I find myself with a familiar feeling of wanting to be out and about, but needing to stay in for Selah's sake. We stay in for naps during the day (of course) and when we go out into the neighborhood, she only wants to sit in the stroller for so long before she's finished with that. We change activities a lot. I want to go out and talk to people around me so that I can learn some language, but am having trouble overcoming my small problem of knowing only 10 words and am unable to put sentences together. These are the times I wish I were a strong extrovert, but I revert to the introvert side in these situations. This is definitely something you can pray for.

Today, we went to the office to set up a language tutor schedule for me. As we were about to walk out the door, Selah threw up. Fortunately, tile floors are easy to clean. She was kind of tired and sedate as we rode the bus. She was staring at everything with her mouth half open (an unfortunate tendency that her mother also has). An older woman on the bus said something to Ryan and the only word we understood was "baby". Then she emphatically turned to me and said the same thing, but with hand motions that made me think she was worried about Selah getting too much sun. We just looked at the woman and smiled. Then, she said it again and I told her we only speak English. She turned to her daughter and had her translate, "The baby seems thirsty." Wow, the woman was very concerned for our thirsty little Selah. Ryan told her that he had already tried to give her a drink, but she didn't want it. To prove it, he offered Selah her sippy cup and she declined. We are told to be prepared for a lot of unwanted advice in our parenting. I'll be thankful that we can't understand right now. Later, I'm sure it might become a bit annoying.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

That net/thingy-bob...is pretty cool...Selah appears to love it. So you just put the fruit in it and it strains it through? I hope Selah is sleeping better than Tye did on our trip. He still is having a hard time adjusting and we did not even have a time change. Miss y'all, and love to hear your stories. You are in our prayers...

6:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the cherries pic is the cutest thing ever. And she is the prettiest, smartest,etc., grandaughter ever. FYI- I miss "spoiling you both".
Love, Grammy

8:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home