Our journey

Monday, August 14, 2006

Back to School

Classes were in session today in Splendora, TX and I was there to teach six of them. One after another, I introduced myself and my teaching philosophy to each class of freshmen. My goal during the first weeks of school is convince the students that they should not and cannot mess with Mrs. Wolf.

To that end, I carefully plan my wardrobe to look as authoritative, professional and intimidating as possible. On a side note, I thought about my attire a good bit because I feel that being pregnant automatically makes me look more vulnerable and most maternity clothes make a woman look so sweet and gentle--things I am working very hard to avoid being associated with as a high school teacher. I try to smile as little as possible (this task proves to be one of my most difficult). I plan way more than is humanly possible to accomplish in one class period so that the students NEVER have any down-time, because most students immediatley use down-time to test the limits of the teacher.

Assuming they buy into this whole persona, the year will be a pretty good one as far as classroom management is concerned. Only time will tell the amount of success I achieve in this pursuit. I'm glad the first day of school has come and gone. Now I can get into the routine I love to be in.

I pray that God will give me insight into the students' lives so that I may encourage and inspire them. I pray that He will give me wisdom to know the best way to teach so that my students have the very best Algebra 1 experience possible. Finally, I pray that they all know Jesus as their Savior and that I may glorify Him in this honorable and humbling position of teacher.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ched said...

You have a good perspective and mindset for your classroom and students. It is encouraging.

10:44 PM

 
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for your comment, Ched. It is so easy to be discouraged when I am in the classroom and have realized my only hope for effectiveness is in Christ.

8:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home