Our journey

Monday, July 20, 2009

Saying good-bye

We've now said "hello" and "good-bye" to Pops & Grammy, Stacie, Granddaddy & Ama, and Mark and Stephanie--all since Eden was born almost 10 weeks ago. We still have a 2 more guests coming, and one is my sister, whom we affectionately call "Auntie Lesh." We're excited to welcome Aleshia to our home for the first time!

Over the past few weeks, we have had a lot of happy things happening...namely, Eden is so happy and sleeping well. Actually, she sleeps well as long as I am not cheating on my diet. I admit it, I'm weak when it comes to food. All those oreo's and brownies and cheese that were specially ordered from the States are just sitting around waiting for me to eat them. But, I am trying to be strong. I haven't touched those (dare I add a "yet" on the end of that statement?).

Eden liked her pacifier in the beginning, but after a few weeks it was obvious that she wasn't such a big fan. I thought that surely if I found the right pacifier she'd fall in love. But she didn't. You see, I love the pacifier. It was a beautiful beautiful assistant to me in soothing Selah for the first year and a half of her life. Selah didn't fight very hard when we decided it was time to say good-bye to the pacifier. So, I was eager for Eden to discover all the greatness that a pacifier holds. I tried 6 different pacifiers to no avail. She decided the greatness lies in her own thumbs. In spite of all my trying, she is a very avid thumb sucker. As I say good-bye to my hopes of finding the perfect pacifier, I am happy that my little girl uses her thumb to put herself to sleep, making my job much easier. In the end, I'm happy she found something to sooth herself with and the great thing is that she'll never lose her thumb in bed--we hope.

I also had to say good-bye to almost 1 gallon of precious breast milk. Since I am quite certain that Eden has a rather sensitive digestive system, I had to get rid of all the milk I had stored in the first 2 months of her life. During 6 weeks of that time I was eating a lot of the things her body doesn't like. Too bad. It was hard to pour it down the drain. Now, I have 8 ounces of milk stored in the freezer. It's a start!
How many minutes of pumping does this add up to?

Mark and Stephanie did a great job with the kids. I give them our stamp of approval for starting their own family! Notice Selah is wearing a grocery sack. It makes a grate water-proof swimsuit (?) or over-alls.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so awesome, the grocery sack, could start a new trend.
Grammy

6:44 PM

 
Anonymous on the eastern journey said...

What a great family photo! How much do I love your breast milk photo? Oh my goodness. You have been pumping away. I'm so sorry you had to toss 1 gallon of precious milk. I pumped for 6 months with Schäfer and I thought I might go insane. It's a lot of work.

Eden sounds like she's getting along with her thumb quite well, but she might still take a pacifier if it's offered again later. Schäfer didn't take one consistently until he was 3 months or so.

You look so beautiful. I hope you are enjoying these days as a Mommy of 2.

11:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home