Our journey

Friday, February 27, 2009

A week already?!

Since we have started our most recent language class, it seems like I blink and a week has gone by! This week Ryan went to a nearby mountain and skied for a day. He went with his supervisor and another friend. He said it was a great mental health day. I am also very happy that Selah seems to be getting back in the swing of regular napping. Maybe the excitement of the toddler bed has finally worn off. She has officially napped 7 days in a row for the first time since the middle of January.

Selah is more and more clearly asserting her independence lately. She wakes up every morning and insists on choosing her own clothes. She changes her dolls' clothes multiple times a day and makes sure that they are fed, walked, napped, ect. I keep telling her what a great big sister she is. She regularly offers her baby sister (still in utero) a blanket, a drink or just talks to her and asks her to come out and play. Earlier this week I decided to see how well she knows the letters of the alphabet because she always wants to watch her "Letters" video. We looked at the letter magnets on the refrigerator and I grouped 4 letters together, asking her to show me a specific letter in the group. I was surprised and so proud to find out that she can identify every letter in the alphabet, except X, E, and H....at least on that day. I think she really knows all of them because she has showed me those letters on other occasions. She also grabs the 'M' and gives it me, saying, "M for mommy" and gives daddy the 'D' and herself the 'S' saying each person respectively.

This week we went to dinner with one of Ryan's friends whom we've encouraged to speak the national language with Selah. She wouldn't say much back to him, but when another one of Ryan's national friends called while we were at dinner, Selah told him that we were eating dinner and drinking tea in the national language. I was so excited to hear her speaking the language and actually responding to the questions she was asked.

No news on the pregnancy front...though we are waiting for news from Ryan's sister as she should be giving birth any day now to her second little girl. I'm also very thrilled that the Lord blessed us with the opportunity to use some frequent flyer miles to fly my best friend, Stacie out to stay with me for 9 days a few weeks after the baby is born. Ryan has to go out of town in late May for a few days and I wanted someone to come stay with me. Praise the Lord that we were actually able to use our miles on the days we wanted!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful Selah is napping again. These little peeps need their rest!

Good job Selah on knowing your letters! What Letters DVD did you use?

Hope you are feeling great and enjoying the last weeks of pregnancy!

10:48 PM

 
Blogger Laura said...

Its actually just called, "Letters" by First Impressions. http://www.amazon.com/Babys-First-Impressions-Letters/dp/B00020X8FM
We have Leap Frog's "Letter Factory" but she isn't as excited about it. Thanks for the great wishes. I am feeling good, but tired...and enjoying all the minutes of time with just Selah and I.

10:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home