Our journey

Monday, May 26, 2008

Helper Girl!


Last Thursday morning I was in the kitchen cooking. Selah was playing in the living room. I noticed her run in to and out of the kitchen and then didn't hear anything for a few seconds. Wondering what she was up to, I called her name and she didn't come running. As I walked into the living room to check on her I noticed a kitchen towel on the floor. My eyes found Selah with a cup of yogurt in one hand, a spoon in the other and yogurt all over her face, hands and the floor. I asked what she had been doing as I took the cup out of her hands. It seemed as if the yogurt had been rubbed into the carpet and then the light bulb went on in my head. The towel was laying on the mess of yogurt and Selah had probably spilled the yogurt as she pulled the cup off of the table. She ran into the kitchen to get a towel to clean up the mess and tried to clean it up, but instead rubbed the yogurt into the carpet. She continued her cleaning efforts as she bent over the yogurt soaked carpet and tried to scrape it with her spoon.

I wish I had gotten a picture because it was too cute. I was a little frustrated but mostly proud of how smart our little girl is proving to be. I appreciate her effort to try to clean up the mess. She has also tried to put keys in the locks, opens the front door and has started showing interest in puzzles and shorting shapes. She helps mommy with the dishes, some cooking and will help us put things back where they go (for about 5 seconds).

Yesterday we went out to the islands with our house group and enjoyed a beautiful view and nice time with our church. Selah got to ride a horse, not for the first or second time, but for the 3rd time. Her first time was a few months ago with Ryan. Last week my babysitter told me that there was a horse at the park that day letting kids ride for free, so they took advantage.

We're heading out of town again this week. Hopefully we'll have some good stories when we get back.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I like that story very much! I know how you feel...proud and frustrated at the same time. The other day Helene was drinking milk from an open cup. She spilled a little bit on the table and before I noticed what she was doing, she had gone to the sink to get a rag to clean up her mess. She does this all the time, and it's great. The problem this time was that she carried her open cup of milk with her into the kitchen and back to the table. On her way back to the table she forgot to concentrate on the cup she was carrying, as she was so focused on cleaning her mess. Needless to say, the cup was empty by the time she got back to the table, and there was milk all over the carpet.

8:50 AM

 
Blogger Laura said...

Aurelie,
That's a great story as well! I'm sure Selah will be doing the same thing in about a year! I hope things are going well for you and that you are getting rest.

11:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It gets so scary when you can't hear them doing anything!

2:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home