Our journey

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Letting go is never easy.

Last week I went up to the high school where I used to teach to introduce Selah to a few of my classes and to say good-bye. I spent a lot of time thinking about if/when I should go and what I should say to these precious kids. In do so, I realized how much I really cared about each of those students and how they had impacted me more than I knew. As I thought about the students, I kept seeing faces and remembered small phrases of conversations I had with them during the first semester.

I wish I could have spent the rest of the year with them so that I could have had more opportunities to share Jesus with them. Additionally, I love the end of the school year because it provides me with a glimpse at their successes and I get to see them mature just a bit.

The students asked lots of questions about the baby and where we are moving. Some of them had very insightful questions like, "What is the government like there?" or "Where will Selah go to school?" Some also asked if I would be able to teach in the city where we are moving. I told them that I plan on teaching again someday, after Selah is a little older and that I anticipate that I will be able to find a job at an international school or a local school (if I can get a good handle on the language).

I realized just a few days ago that my visit to Splendora High School really provided me with much needed closure to that chapter of my life. I no longer find myself worrying about the kids or hoping they are still learning. Though I do hope they are learning, I've let go of my feelings of personal responsibility in the matter. I gave them my email address and blog address, but haven't heard from any of them yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home